We had more snow this week! (Gotta love living in Canada…) Thankfully it melted quickly and we’re slowly seeing some of the larger snow piles melt away. Our driveway is still icy because it’s on the north side of our house but it’s just about time to pull out the rain boots.
I’ve just about finished ordering almost all our school books for sixth grade – just a few odds and ends and other items left to pick up throughout the spring and summer. The next big job is to tackle the bookshelves and start clearing out old books and bringing in the new.
We have a relaxing 4-day weekend ahead of us – no school today or Monday and Nick is off too so we’ll be going to church, visiting with friends and relaxing together. I’m really looking forward to some nice quiet family time.
Our week in pictures…
1. Working on summarizing with Writing & Rhetoric Narrative II – we are in love with this series (especially this book) – it is just an all-around wonderful writing program.
2. Playing the DragonBox Algebra app – I can’t recommend this highly enough. It teaches algebra in such a simple way that kids just naturally understand (and this math-phobic mom does too).
3. Reading about Rome – we’re studying ancient Rome right now and TJ is looking through her favorite books in the You Wouldn’t Want to… series about Rome.
4. Checking her spelling work – she’s getting more independent all the time. Now I just have to read the words for her weekly spelling test, she checks them to see how she did, and corrects any mistakes.
5. Using the thesaurus to find interesting words – another bonus to using Writing & Rhetoric – learning to use the dictionary and thesaurus to craft well-written sentences.
Wandering the web….
- Free SQUILT download for the Hallelujah Chorus from Homegrown Learners
- Top 10 Tips for New Homeschoolers from Tina’s Dynamic Homeschool Plus
- How to Teach Shakespeare from Education Possible
- 10 Things I Did Right Homeschooling High School from Ben & Me
- How to get your interest-led learners back on track from Simple Homeschool
Piles of books…
I just started reading Robinson Crusoe. I’m almost finished with Meditations and finished a few fun novels this week – The Mother-Daughter Book Club (I’ll have TJ read this one after she reads Little Women) and A Shilling for Candles.
TJ finished reading a Nancy Drew book, some books about ancient Rome, and a few more Pokemon comics.
What’s happening at The Sunny Patch…
I shared a printable for evaluating primary source documents, an organized list of one of my daughter’s favorite history series – You Wouldn’t Want to…, my list of essential oils for women (and I have a fabulous promotion – just for April!), and I shared a little bit about why we love the 3rd book in the Writing & Rhetoric series from Classical Academic Press.
Tell me about your week!
Stay in touch!
Stay in touch with The Sunny Patch by signing up for our newsletter. All the best information sent right to your inbox!
You'll also receive a FREE 5-day Unit Study!