Another week… another pile of work finished and books read. And a four day week – we took a snow day on Wednesday, just for fun.
It’s the last week of our second school term so instead of history or science studies TJ chose what she wanted to study. She’s decided that for her interest-led weeks she wants to use Disney movies as her starting point. This term that ended up being Mulan. So we learned about China – the Great Wall, Chinese dragons, and the culture and geography of the country.
Our week in pictures…
1. We put the Christmas tree up on Monday night. Then we sat and admired our work while we had Oreos and milk. Canadian Oreos are so much better than American. Something about the filling is different. Not sure what but they are definitely not the same.
2. Working on adding vowel suffixes to words that end in -ce and -ge. Can’t believe we’re in our last All About Spelling book.
3. The kid and the dog. I tried to get them both looking at me at the same time but it just didn’t work.
4. Latin…. oh boy, is it getting tough! TJ is doing great and can keep up the pace but I need to slow it down. So we’re going to take 2 weeks to cover each lesson (we’re on lesson 9). Up to this point we’ve been good since we had such a great foundation with Latina Christiana. But now the work is ramping up and I want us to take our time and really internalize all this new stuff.
5. TJ spent some time drawing a few of the characters from Mulan. She did a fabulous job with Mushu.
Wandering the web….
- 11 Christmas Books Everyone Should Read from Circe Institute
- How to Get Your Kids to Hate Learning from The Heart of Michelle
- Ten Books of Poems for Kids from Ed Snapshots
- Swatting Phonograms from All About Learning Press
Piles of books…
I’m reading Michel de Montaigne’s Essays (Well-Educated Mind reading). I should be done by the weekend (fingers crossed!). I recently finished Villette by Charlotte Brontë. Really good book despite not being a ‘happy’ one.
TJ is reading a pile of books about China. We’re also reading The Last Battle for our bi-weekly literature discussion. Not sure what we’re going to read next now that we’ve almost finished the Narnia books.
We’re reading aloud Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Haven’t seen the movie since I was a kid so I guess that will be next on the list after we finish the book.
What’s happening at The Sunny Patch…
Tell me about your week!
Stay in touch!
Stay in touch with The Sunny Patch by signing up for our newsletter. All the best information sent right to your inbox!
You'll also receive a FREE 5-day Unit Study!