We’ve had another nice quiet week with some unexpected breaks. Tuesday morning I decided to declare it a snow day. TJ spent time playing on the WiiU, we watched a movie together, and just had a nice relaxing day. Thursday was also a day off – she spent the day with friends. I think that’s one of my favorite homeschool benefits – taking days off whenever we want to. We’re on track and a bit ahead in a few subjects so a few extra days here and there aren’t going to set us back very much.
Our week in pictures…
- Time for new glasses – TJ had an eye exam and we found out her lazy eye has improved quite a bit. Instead of just changing out the lenses, it was about the same price for new frames so she had fun choosing a new style and color – purple this time.
- Working on some drawing techniques – we’re learning about Renaissance artists this week so we’ve been spending time working on some of the techniques they used, like perspective and shading.
- Time for piano – I barely have to remind TJ to spend time practicing – I usually have to remind her that she has other work and can’t spend the whole afternoon playing the piano.
- My new Christmas present – my in-laws surprised me with an Instant Pot for Christmas and I’ve been having fun playing. I’ve been making hard boiled eggs (one of my favorite snacks) and the IP makes it so easy. It’s not a huge time-saver but I’ve never had eggs peel so easily.
Wandering the web….
- 3 Ways to Encourage Our Children Outside of School from Bookshark
- Simple Homeschool Middle School Planner from Starts at Eight
- Media Discernment for Homeschoolers from Bright Idea Press
- When the Homeschooling Isn’t Working from Classically Homeschooling
- 15 Finger Knitting Projects from Triumphant Learning
Piles of books…
I finally finished Susan W. Bauer’s middle ages book! I have the next book in the series on my to-buy list but I think I’ll take a break before jumping into that one. I also finished a few other books – Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl (Well-Educated Mind autobiography), Among the Mad, and The Knockoff. The first two were good, the last was just okay.
TJ is reading books about Renaissance artists, I, Juan de Pareja, and comic books in her spare time.
What’s happening at The Sunny Patch…
Tell me about your week!