Learn about animals with these lesson plans
If you’re following The Well-Trained Mind sequence for science then you are probably planning an animal study for 1st grade. Or if you just want to learn about animals and classification you’ll like these plans!
You’ll spend 18 weeks classifying & observing animals, dissecting a clam, a fish, and an owl pellet (you can include more dissection if your kids enjoy it!). Along the way your children will learn to chart their observations and record experiments. And, if you want to include the optional lapbook (listed below), you’ll have a beautiful keepsake of your child’s first grade year.
To complete this animal study you’ll need:
- Kingfisher First Animal Encyclopedia
- Giant Science Resource Book (optional)
- Dissecting Kit
- Specimens for Dissection (only the fish & clam are scheduled, the remaining are optional)
- Dissection Guides
- Owl Pellet Dissection Kit
- Animal Observation page
- Dolphin Days by Amanda Bennett (optional, not scheduled in the lesson plans but a great addition!)
18-week Animal Study Lesson Plans
Click on the image below to download the PDF file.
Looking for more science lesson plans? Scroll down for more free plans!
Stay in touch!
Stay in touch with The Sunny Patch by signing up for our newsletter. All the best information sent right to your inbox!
You'll also receive a FREE 5-day Unit Study!