This is the easiest batch cooking day you’ll ever have!
Nothing is simpler than this easy chicken plan (unless you count my effortless ground beef plan) for filling your freezer with precooked chicken, portioned and ready to make some quick meals.
What you need:
- Package of boneless, skinless chicken breast (I like to buy the bulk-sized packages at Costco)
- Slow Cooker
- Stand Mixer
- Freezer bags
- Lots of recipes using precooked chicken!
What to do
The first step is to put all the chicken in the slow cooker with a little bit of water (about 1/2 cup). You could season the chicken first. I like to keep it simple with a little salt & pepper. Put the lid on, turn the slow cooker to high, and let it go until chicken is cooked. The chicken should be done in 3-4 hours, depending on how big your bulk-sized packages are. (You could also cook on low for 8 hours.)
Remove the chicken from the slow cooker with tongs or a slotted spoon, placing each piece in the bowl of a stand mixer. Once it’s full, you’re ready to shred. You want to be really careful with this step or you’ll end up with very finely shredded pieces (which is okay if that’s what you’re going for!).
Using the flat beater paddle, set the stand mixer at speed 2 and use the pulse button to get it to the consistency you want. Or, just turn it on and watch it carefully – it shouldn’t take more than 30 seconds to shred. The clean-up time takes longer than the shredding!
Package the chicken in 1-2 cup portions in freezer bags & label. Be sure to set some aside and use that yummy broth in the slow cooker to make a pot of soup.
Need some ideas to use up that freezer full of precooked chicken? Here’s a list of 24 easy meal ideas to get you started!
24 Meal Ideas using Precooked Chicken
The best trick in my arsenal of quick meals is the precooked packages of ground beef or shredded chicken in my freezer. But sometimes I look at that package and think to myself, “What am I going to make with this tonight?” Well, here are a few easy meal ideas for that package of shredded chicken in your hand:
- Toss it on a green salad
- chicken salad sandwiches
- hot chicken sandwiches
- quick chicken noodle soup
- pot pie
- chicken & dumplings
- lasagna or stuffed shells
Easy Meal Ideas for Cooked Shredded Chicken
- Green Chilies Chicken Enchilada Skillet from Frugal Family Favorites
- Poppy Seed Chicken from Thrifty T’s Treasures
- Chicken Cheddar Ziti from Real the Kitchen and Beyond
- Salsa Verde Chicken Enchiladas from Joyously Domestic
- Sausage and Chicken Jambalaya from Frugal Family Favorites
- Jerk Chicken Nachos from 3 Boys and a Dog
- Chicken Terrific from Cooking with K
- Chicken and Rice from Frugal Family Favorites
Soups & Stews
- Chicken, Black Bean & Salsa Soup from Joyful Homemaking
- Creamy Crockpot Chicken & Potato Soup from Thrifty T’s Treasures
- Not So Spicy Chicken Vegetable Soup from Real the Kitchen and Beyond
- Chicken Pot Pie from Thrifty T’s Treasures
- Pecan Crusted Spinach Salad from The Gardening Cook
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Pasta Salad from Thrifty T’s Treasures
- Wendy’s Copycat Berry Almond Chicken Salad from Joyful Homemaking
- Ladies Club Chicken Salad from Miz Helen’s Country Cottage
- Bacon Gorgonzola Chicken Salad from Picky Palate
Sandwiches, Pizza & Little Bites
- Gluten Free Buffalo Chicken Bites from Almost Supermom
- Chicken and Black Bean Quesadillas from Deliciously Organic
- Easy BBQ Chicken Pizza from Crystal & Co.
- Chicken Pesto Stromboli from Joyful Homemaking
- Buffalo Chicken Taquitos from Mommy on Demand
- Thai Chicken Pizza from Fork Knife Swoon
- Buffalo Chicken Potato Skins from Closet Cooking