More books for kids!
I can’t believe we’ve finished fifth grade and it’s time for our favorite read alouds. We’ve moved beyond picture books and we read aloud and listen to lots of books. Here are our favorite 5th grade read alouds.
Favorite read aloud books for kids
These read aloud books for kids are great for all ages – from elementary to high school. Even my husband made us wait for a few of these books so he could listen in as well. So your children don’t have to be in 5th grade to enjoy these books – they’re great for all ages.
We read a lot of books that were in a series – my daughter loves to keep listening about her favorite characters so she would always ask for those first. And of course, they must all be read in order. No listening out of order! (she takes after me…)
For books that are in a series I’ve linked to the first and then included links to the sequels in parentheses.
5th grade read alouds
- The Saturdays (The Four-Story Mistake; Then There Were Five)
- Thimble Summer
- Gone-Away Lake (Return to Gone-Away)
- The Reluctant Dragon
- The Penderwicks (The Penderwicks on Gardam Street; 2 more sequels we haven’t yet listened to: The Penderwicks at Point Mouette; The Penderwicks in Spring)
- The Hero’s Guide to Saving Your Kingdom (The Hero’s Guide to Storming the Castle, The Hero’s Guide to Being an Outlaw)
- Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
- The Lightning Thief (The Sea of Monsters; 5 book set – we haven’t read all of these aloud yet)
- Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone (7 book set – we’ve only read the first two aloud)
- The Iliad
- The Odyssey
- The Mysterious Howling (The Hidden Gallery; The Unseen Guest; The Interrupted Tale; The Unmapped Sea)
- Little Women
- Treasure Island
We read a few more books but they weren’t our favorites so they didn’t make this list. No one has time for mediocre books – especially when there are so many great kids books out there!
What are your favorite read aloud books for middle school kids?
I’d love to add more books to our reading list – leave me a comment and tell me your favorite books for middle school kids.