10 chapter book series to get girls reading
Moving early readers from phonics level readers to chapter books can take some time. I know my own daughter took awhile to make that transition. Something that really helped was keeping some fun books around that were at or below her reading level. And when I found a series she loved I’d order every book in the series from our library!
The 10 books listed below are the first in a series of books – perfect for girls who are making that chapter book reading transition (when they are ready to move on from books like Frog & Toad or Little Bear). Some are fluff/twaddle type books but I’m okay with a little twaddle if it will get my daughter reading!
Early chapter books that come as a set/series are great for young readers. The predictable storylines are easy for new readers and can help them develop comprehension skills and reading speed. And kids love a series because they can spend more time with a favorite character while reading through that stack of books!
Here are my favorite chapter books for girls:
- Ruby the Red Fairy, Rainbow Magic Fairies
- Dinosaurs Before Dark, Magic Tree House
- Voyage with the Vikings, The Imagination Station
- Cam Jansen and the Mystery of the Stolen Diamonds, Cam Jansen
- The Double Dabble Surprise, Cul-de-Sac Kids
- Betsy-Tacy, Betsy-Tacy (1st 4 books)
- Beezus and Ramona, Ramona Collection
- The Boxcar Children, Boxcar Children
- In Grandma’s Attic, Grandma’s Attic
- Little House in the Big Woods, Little House