Like this recipe for grain-free meatballs with mushroom sauce? Here are more simple freezer recipe ideas.
Meatballs are a super simple meal – especially when you have some stashed in the freezer. Once a month I try to prep a six-pound batch of meatloaf and meatballs and it comes in handy for quick and simple meals.
The hardest part is deciding what to do with them!
I love to whip up a simple sauce, add a side dish or two, and dinner is ready in 30 minutes or less. With a few batches of grain-free meatballs in the freezer, I know I can get a family dinner on the table quickly. Spending an hour or so on a Sunday afternoon means quick family dinners all month long.
Meatballs are such a versatile ingredient – they are one of the easiest things to mix up and toss in the freezer for quick weeknight meals. And it’s so simple to make them grain-free (or paleo or gluten free). Instead of breadcrumbs or oats, I swap that binder out with some parmesan cheese and ground flax seed.
Here’s the recipe I use: Grain Free Meatloaf Recipe
Instead of shaping the mixture into meatloaf, I use a cookie scoop to make meatballs then pan fry them until they have a nice brown crust on the outside. I don’t let them cook through completely – just until that crust develops. Then cool, flash freeze, and bag them up for the freezer.
When you want to cook them, pull some out of the freezer and add them to your sauce or finish baking them in the oven until they are cooked through.
There are so many ways to use meatballs – one of my favorite is with a mushroom sauce – it’s such a nice comfort food meal.
Grain Free Meatballs with Mushroom Sauce
A simple mushroom sauce is easy to whip up (even if it’s completely grain free) – with some sliced mushrooms, beef or chicken broth, some seasonings, and a thickener.
All you need to do is pan fry the mushrooms in olive oil and butter, make a sauce in the same pan and add the meatballs. Simmer in the sauce until they are cooked through (160 degrees).
Serve these grain-free meatballs with mushroom sauce over mashed potatoes or something to soak up that yummy sauce.
- 1½ pounds meatballs - http://thesunnypatch.ca/grain-free-meatloaf-recipe-make-ahead-freezer-meals/
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 2 cups chicken or beef broth
- Seasonings (salt, pepper, rosemary)
- 1 Tbsp arrowroot powder
- Make meatballs following this recipe - http://thesunnypatch.ca/grain-free-meatloaf-recipe-make-ahead-freezer-meals/
- Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Add sliced mushrooms and cook until softened and browned - about 6-8 minutes.
- Add the broth, scraping up any browned bits.
- Season the broth to your taste using salt, pepper, and dried rosemary.
- Add the meatballs and turn the heat down to a simmer.
- Continue to simmer until meatballs are cooked through (160 degrees).
- Make a slurry with the arrowroot powder - adding a tablespoon of water and the arrowroot powder to a small glass and mixing well.
- Add half the mixture to the simmering sauce and whisk.
- If it doesn't thicken to your liking, whisk in the remaining arrowroot/water slurry.
- Remove from heat and serve.
Quick & Easy Family Dinners
Do you keep meatballs stashed in your freezer? What’s your favorite way to cook them for a quick family dinner? Leave me a comment and let me know!