Like this grain free meatloaf recipe? Here are more make ahead freezer meals.
Meatloaf is an American classic – and it’s simple to create an easy version for the freezer that’s also grain free (great for people following wheat-free, gluten-free, Paleo, or other low-carb plans).
Make Ahead Freezer Meals
Meatloaf is a simple choice for freezer cooking. I buy a large package of ground beef from our local wholesale club and make one huge batch of meatloaf mix (which is also great for meatballs, by the way).
Once it’s all mixed up, I divide it into family-sized portions, package, and freeze.
I thaw the mix the day before I want to cook it, then all I need to do is form it into a loaf, add a savory topping, and bake it in the oven (or in my Instant Pot).
So, instead of the mess of having to make meatloaf four times, I only had to do the messy work once and still end up with four meals. One mess but four easy make ahead freezer meals – love that!
Grain Free Meatloaf Recipe
This grain free meatloaf recipe is so easy. It’s a simple matter to swap out the breadcrumbs in the usual meatloaf recipe for other healthy ingredients. Before going grain free, I used oatmeal as a binder. Now I use ground flax and parmesan cheese. The mixture is mild enough that the other ingredients stand out.
You’re also free to dress it up with whatever you like – bell pepper, spinach, or other veggies. Make it savory with some chopped up bacon and mushrooms. The mild flavor of this basic meatloaf recipe gives you lots of room to personalize it.
Once you’ve swapped out those breadcrumbs, meatloaf is a perfect all-American grain free main dish for an easy weeknight meal. Best of all, this simple recipe also works for meatballs. Mix up a batch, roll it into meatballs, give them a quick saute, cool, package and freeze for more quick make-ahead freezer meals.
- 5-6 pound package ground beef
- 1½ cups parmesan cheese
- 1 cup ground golden flax
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 1 large onion, minced
- 3 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- ½ cup almond milk (or milk of your choice)
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup ketchup or
other topping(for cooking day)
- Put the ground beef in a large bowl.
- Add the parmesan, flax, salt, pepper, onion, Worcestershire sauce, and milk.
- Combine the eggs in a bowl and whisk to break up the yolks. Add to the meatloaf mixture.
- Combine the meatloaf, mixing gently.
- Once combined, divide between four freezer containers (for 4 - 1½ pound meatloaves) and freeze.
- Thaw one meatloaf in the refrigerator overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Shape the mixture into a loaf and put into a pan.
- Pour the ketchup over the top.
- Bake for 1 hour at 350. Let sit 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
How do you top your meatloaf?
What’s your favorite way to top a meatloaf? Are you a ketchup fan or do you prefer a different topping? Leave me a comment and tell me about it!
More Make Ahead Freezer Meals
- 4 Freezer Cooking Tips for Busy Families
- Effortless Chicken Plan
- How to Cook Taco Meat in the Crock Pot
Stay in touch!
Stay in touch with The Sunny Patch by signing up for our newsletter. All the best information sent right to your inbox!
You'll also receive a FREE 5-day Unit Study!