It doesn’t have to be difficult to include art study (or composer study) in your homeschool day. With a bit of planning and a simple schedule you can learn all about a variety of artists. I’ve found that the easiest way is to schedule in 6-week segments, studying one artist (and one composer) during that time.
Simple steps for art study
At the beginning of the year we choose 6 artists. We choose artists that we’re curious about, fit our history schedule, or an art movement that interests us. We’ve done it all!
After choosing 6 artists, I select 6 pieces of art for each of those artists. Then I have them printed as 4×6 prints (I do all 6 artists at the beginning of the school year so I don’t have to remember to do this each term).
Art Study in Action
The only steps that are necessary at the beginning of the year are choosing the artists and getting 6 prints for each artist. If you like, you can also choose one art project for each artist as well. Then you’re ready to begin!
Here’s how it looks at our house:
- Hang up the art prints and choose one for picture study each week (instructions for picture study)
- Get some books about the artist or art style from the library (I really like the Mike Venezia books for this)
- Once or twice during the term read a book about the artist and look at more examples of their work
- Add the artist to our lapbook (wonderful Activity Pak from Homeschool in the Woods!)
- If you like to add some art activities, find a project that fits for the artist you’re studying
- Play an art game (Birdcage Press games are great)
- Sketch a painting
- At the end of the term, flip through our picture study album
Each week we study one piece of art and one of the other activities listed above. When we’re done, the photo goes in a small album just for pictures we’ve studied. It only takes about 10-15 minutes once per week (more for art projects, of course!) and, since I did all the hard work at the beginning of the year, it’s quick to pull it together every week.
If you’re looking for some fabulous art study resources, here’s a list of our favorite things.
Do you do any art study in your homeschool?
Stay in touch!
Stay in touch with The Sunny Patch by signing up for our newsletter. All the best information sent right to your inbox!
You'll also receive a FREE 5-day Unit Study!