Skinny Chocolate is a staple for many Trim Healthy Mama followers. I’ve been busy in my kitchen looking for ways to use skinny chocolate as a base for some easy, fabulous desserts. One of my latest recipes? Skinny Chocolate frosting – perfect for these Trim Healthy Mama chocolate cupcakes.
It all starts with the skinny chocolate, of course. It’s a simple mixture of coconut oil, cocoa powder, and your healthy sweetener of choice. I usually use a mixture of xylitol and stevia but any sweetener would work (Truvia, erythritol, etc. would work – you just may have to slightly adjust the amount used). Just run it through a coffee grinder first to create a fine powder (it will dissolve into the coconut oil more easily this way).
Melt the coconut oil, mix in your sweetener until it’s dissolved, then add the cocoa. That’s it! For the complete recipe, details see – Easy Dark and Healthy Chocolate.
Skinny Chocolate Frosting
When I was considering frosting for my Trim Healthy Mama chocolate cupcakes, I was thinking about a simple ganache, which is made with chocolate and cream. So I thought, why not do the same, but use skinny chocolate? I gave it a try and, surprisingly, it worked!
It’s a simple recipe – just melt the coconut oil and cream in a double boiler. Add the sweetener when it’s completely melted, then stir in the cocoa powder. Immediately transfer the mixture to a chilled bowl and refrigerate. I found that the coconut oil has a tendency to separate so check the chilled frosting after ten minutes and give it a stir to make sure the frosting stays incorporated.
Once it’s chilled to a spreadable consistency, it’s ready to use! Frost your favorite low-carb cake or muffin with a tablespoon of frosting and enjoy! The frosting should keep about a four days unrefrigerated and up to a week in the refrigerator (if you just want to keep it in there to sneak a spoonful every once in awhile!).
One note: This frosting has a dark, rich texture. If you’re not a fan of dark chocolate, cut back on the cocoa powder. Or, for a chocolate peanut butter skinny chocolate frosting, replace half of the cocoa powder with defatted peanut flour (like I used in my recipe for sugar-free peanut butter chocolate cups.
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup refined coconut oil
- ¼ cup xylitol
- 2 scoops Stevia extract
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- Heat the cream and coconut oil in a double boiler over medium heat.
- While the mixture heats, pulse the xylitol in a coffee grinder until it's a fine powder and add the stevia extract to the xylitol.
- When the heated mixture is completely melted and quite warm to the touch, add the xylitol and whisk until fully combined.
- Stir in the cocoa powder, mixing well.
- Immediately remove the mixture from the heat and pour into a room temperature or chilled container. Refrigerate.
- Check the mixture after ten minutes. If the oil has separated, gently mix it back into the cooled frosting.
- Let frosting chill until spreadable then use to frost cupcakes or muffins.
Are you following the Trim Healthy Mama plan?
Do you have a favorite sweet treat that you enjoy indulging on? Leave me a comment and tell me about your favorite Trim Healthy Mama sweets!
Trim Healthy Mama Recipes
- Trim Healthy Mama Chocolate Cupcakes
- Trim Healthy Mama Skinny Chocolate Custard
- Trim Healthy Mama: Organizing Your Book
Three MORE Skinny Chocolate Recipes!
Love Skinny Chocolate?
Get three bonus recipes featuring this sweet treat!