It’s summer and we’ve put the books away. But, even when we are relaxing in the summer sun, I like to have some ideas up my sleeve. No reason for learning to stop in the summer! So here are some summer science activities for kids.
15 Summer Science Activities for Kids
During the school year we don’t do a ton of projects and experiments. But, when we’re on break I like to take out those fun extras. I can sneak in some learning and my daughter just thinks it’s a fun activity.
Summer is a great time to pull out those fun water projects and experiments. Instead of a puddle on the dining room table, save the fun for summertime. Take those projects outside where you don’t have to mop up the mess. These 15 summer science activities for kids will keep your kids occupied (and still learning) while you’re on school break.
- Sugar Water Density Rainbow Experiment
- Water Displacement Activity
- Lemon Suds Eruptions
- Water Absorption Experiment
- Walking Water
- Sink or Float
- How to make a water balloon sink
- Homemade Giant Bubbles Recipe
- Pop Rocks
- Peppermint Water Science
- Surface Tension Experiment
- Does it dissolve?
- Learning how plants absorb water
- Learning about water pressure
- Water & Oil Fireworks
Books for learning about water
Of course I need to include a few books! I recommend having your kids read for a few minutes each day during summer vacation. Combine the activities above with some of these books and your kids will be learning all summer (without feeling like they are doing school).
- Follow the Water from Brook to Ocean
- Let’s try it out in Water
- Janice Van Cleave’s Weather
- Science Around the Year
Do you try to sneak in some learning fun in the summer?
Leave me a comment and let me know if you do educational activities in the summer.
More science fun:
- Tips & Guidelines for Independent Learning
- Favorite Science & Nature Study Resources
- Science Books for Kids
Stay in touch!
Stay in touch with The Sunny Patch by signing up for our newsletter. All the best information sent right to your inbox!
You'll also receive a FREE 5-day Unit Study!