But… if you want something sweet then you will have to look into purchasing a few of those new ingredients.
Luckily, many grocery stores now carry some of those sweeteners, so it is possible to make some great new desserts.
And, when you begin your adventures with sugar and grain free desserts, I really think it’s best to start with non-baked good items (like cookies and cakes). I’ve had a lot of flops learning about cooking with almond and coconut flours. It can get expensive!
But I’ve had really good success with other kinds of desserts – custards and chocolates. Today I’m sharing one of my new favorites.
Chocolate custard Trim Healthy Mama style
This is a rich, dark French style custard called pot de crème. It’s made with basic ingredients but tastes so good. And, it is the perfect dessert to make if you have some leftover egg yolks on hand after using those whites for your Trim Healthy Mama “E” breakfast.
It does take a bit of work – you’ll need to bake the custard in a water bath. But it’s definitely worth the effort! And, when you’re enjoying a nice “S” dinner you can finish your meal with this decadent dessert (don’t forget the whipped cream!).
- 6 large egg yolks
- ⅓ cup on-plan sweetener (see note)
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 oz. 85% chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 325.
- Whisk the egg yolks, sweetener, and cocoa powder in a large 4-cup measuring cup.
- Bring the heavy cream and almond milk to a simmer in a small saucepan, stirring often.
- Add the 2 oz. chocolate to the simmering milk and whisk until melted.
- Slowly whisk the hot milk mixture into the egg yolk mixture, a ½ cup at a time until it's all mixed in.
- Stir in the vanilla.
- Pour the mixture into six 4-ounce cups or ramekins. Seal each with a small piece of aluminum foil.
- Bake in a water bath until set but still quivery in the center, 35-45 minutes. Don't overcook.
- Remove custards from water bath and allow to cool 30 minutes before refrigerating.
- Refrigerate at least 2 hours. Serve with a dollop of whipped cream.
This is an “S” option for Trim Healthy Mamas. Recipe adapted from The Joy of Cooking.
Here are a few more THM dessert recipes:
Subscribe to my weekly Healthy Living newsletter!
More great content handpicked just for you!
If you like this post for chocolate custard, you will also enjoy the following articles. Click on the images below to keep reading!
Three MORE Skinny Chocolate Recipes!
Love Skinny Chocolate?
Get three bonus recipes featuring this sweet treat!