Don’t you just love easy no bake recipes? I know I do!
So I’m excited to share another easy recipe – Trim Healthy Mama No Bake Chocolate Cream Pie.
Trim Healthy Mama No Bake Chocolate Cream Pie
Cream pie is an easy dessert recipe. It takes a bit of time to get the filling to thicken and set, but after that, the refrigerator does all of the work!
What you’ll need:
This no bake chocolate cream pie recipe uses basic low-carb ingredients like almond milk and heavy cream. To thicken it, the combination of egg yolks and gelatin does the job nicely. It has all the comfort food taste of a cornstarch-thickened pie, without all the carbs.
You will need a low-carbohydrate sweetener like xylitol (Truvia or other sweeteners would work well too). And, with a no bake pie crust, it’s a perfect summertime treat – no oven needed!
What to do:
No oven needed, but you will want to be watching the filling for this no bake chocolate cream pie as it comes to a simmer. So it’s not completely without some work involved!
First you’ll want to get your pie crust ready and in the refrigerator (if it’s a no bake crust).
Then you’ll measure the xylitol (or other sweetener), salt, and cocoa powder into a medium sized pot. Whisk in the almond milk (or 1/2 almond milk and 1/2 heavy cream) and 5 egg yolks. At first, the cocoa powder will ‘sit’ on top of the cold liquids. But as it heats, it will incorporate into the mixture.
Bring the mixture just to a simmer over medium heat, stirring often (especially into the edges of the pot). While you’re waiting for it to simmer, proof 1 tablespoon of gelatin in 1/4 cup hot water. When the chocolate filling starts to simmer, whisk it constantly for 1 minute.
Remove the pot from the heat, add the gelatin along with 2 tablespoons of butter and 1 tablespoon of vanilla. Pour the mixture into a deep dish pie pan, cover with plastic, and refrigerate at least 3 hours to let it firm up.
Top with whipped cream before serving.
And you have a great summertime treat – Trim Healthy Mama No Bake Chocolate Cream Pie!
- ⅔ cup xylitol
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2½ cups almond milk (or half of each almond milk and heavy cream)
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1 Tablespoon gelatin
- ¼ cup hot water
- 2 Tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 no bake pie crust - http://thesunnypatch.ca/trim-healthy-mama-no-bake-pie-crust/
- Whipped cream, for serving
- Measure the xylitol, cocoa powder and salt into a medium sized pot.
- Slowly whisk in the almond milk.
- Add the egg yolks and whisk well.
- Put over medium heat and stir constantly, until the mixture comes to a simmer.
- While you're waiting for it to come to a simmer, add the gelatin to the ¼ cup hot water and stir well. Set aside.
- When milk mixture starts to simmer, whisk constantly and let cook for one minute.
- Remove from heat, add gelatin, butter, and vanilla extract, mixing well.
- Pour the mixture into your prepared pie crust, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate at least 3 hours or until set.
- When you are ready to serve, top with whipped cream.
More healthy & easy no bake recipes:
- 10 Healthy No Bake Desserts
- No Bake Pie Crust
- Trim Healthy Mama No Bake Skinny Chocolate Custard
- Trim Healthy Mama No Bake Vanilla Cream Pie
More great content handpicked just for you!
If you like this post for no bake chocolate cream pie, you will also enjoy the following articles. Click on the images below to keep reading!
Three MORE Skinny Chocolate Recipes!
Love Skinny Chocolate?
Get three bonus recipes featuring this sweet treat!