We celebrated Thanksgiving on Monday so it was another 4-day school week for us. School is going well and TJ is doing okay working independently. She does tend to slip into messy work and had to rewrite a few things this week after I checked them. She certainly wasn’t impressed with having to do that but didn’t have a complete meltdown (thank goodness!).
We’re finding a good groove and she is showing more promise in working independently. It feels a bit strange to just have her write down assignments and go off and work on them. We’re still working on a few things together (writing, Latin, logic, and history) but almost all her other work is done on her own. She still has to check in every few minutes (otherwise she would dawdle away her day) so I don’t feel completely left out!
Our week in pictures…
- Mapping & documentaries – TJ does a bit of map work every week (we’re using MapTrek). I’ve loosely correlated them to fit in with the order of stops in Project Passport. We’ve also been working our way through a few of the Schlessinger Media videos about life in the Middle Ages.
- More fun history TV – have you watched the Worst Jobs in History series? We found them on YouTube and watched one about medieval life this week – there were some pretty gross jobs back then (can’t say I’d want to be a fuller)!
- Working on her history notebook – more fun with Project Passport this week (we are really liking this program!). She created a notebooking page about life in a medieval town this week.
- Is it time for Christmas music yet? – I have a rule that once we celebrate Canadian Thanksgiving I can pull out my Christmas music and start listening to it – that way I get to full months of Christmas tunes!
Wandering the web….
- Teens & Social Media from Homeschooling in Real Life
- The Myth of Independence from Blog, She Wrote
- A Month of Cozy Books from Sallie Borrink
- 4 Easy Steps to Teach Your Kids to Outline from Classically Homeschooling
- 5 Things You Should Never Say to the Child Who Struggles with Math from Math Geek Mama
Piles of books…
We haven’t done much reading aloud this week – we’ve been spending our extra time watching documentaries. I do have Gregor the Overlander in our read aloud pile for next week.
What’s happening at The Sunny Patch…
Tell me about your week!