Going wheat-free can be quite a task. I’ll be honest and say that I miss a yummy cupcake or baked good that isn’t dry or bitter. Well, after many flops I’ve created some great, simple Trim Healthy Mama chocolate cupcakes.
These cupcakes are made with almond flour and are sugar-free and grain-free. So, even if you’re not following Trim Healthy Mama, but are omitting one of those ingredients from your diet, make these cupcakes!
Trim Healthy Mama Chocolate Cupcakes
Going grain-free and replacing all your favorite ‘carby’ foods can be quite a task. I know that I often miss fresh homemade bread or a rich, fudgy brownie (my stomach certainly doesn’t agree with me, though!). Thankfully, there are many websites and cookbooks just for low-carb and grain-free diets. On of my favorites? Trim Healthy Mama.
While Trim Healthy Mama isn’t necessarily grain-free, there are lots of great ideas, recipes, and inspiration. One of my most-used recipes is the THM recipe for Skinny Chocolate. I’ve used that basic recipe to create many different sweet treats. My latest creation is a skinny chocolate frosting for these fabulous Trim Healthy Mama Chocolate Cupcakes.
I’ve updated this recipe recently to reduce the amount of almond flour slightly. Depending on the brand of almond flour you purchase, the finished product can turn out a little bit grainy. So, I’ve replaced 1/4 cup of the almond flour with protein powder. It creates a smoother texture and adds a bit of a nutritional boost.
This chocolate cupcake recipe is super easy – mix the dry ingredients. Combine the wet ingredients and stir into the dry ingredients until well combined. Scoop & bake. That’s it!
Print the recipe below and add it to your healthy, low-carb recipe collection! And don’t forget your skinny chocolate frosting!
- ½ cup almond flour
- ¼ cup unflavored protein powder
- 1 Tbsp coconut flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup xylitol
- ⅛ tsp Stevia
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup almond milk
- 2 Tbsp cold brewed coffee
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325. Grease an 8x8 inch baking pan, 12 cup muffin pan, or mini muffin pan.
- Combine dry ingredients and mix well. Add wet ingredients and stir until combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan - use a large scoop (about 3 Tablespoons) for cupcakes or a small scoop (1 Tablespoon) for mini cupcakes.
- Bake 12-20 minutes, being careful not to overbake. (15-20 minutes - longer time for cakes; shorter time for mini-cupcakes).
- Let cool completely before removing from pan.
Adapted from a recipe at Satisfying Eats.
Some of these ingredients can be a bit difficult to find locally, so here are a few links to make your shopping a little bit easier.
Here’s a really fun way to serve these Trim Healthy Mama chocolate cupcakes – cupcake kebabs! Bake the batter in a mini-muffin pan. After they’ve cooled completely (if they are very soft, put the cooled pan in the refrigerator until they are completely firm), remove them from the pan and place them on skewers with strawberries and serve with whipped cream.
It looks very pretty and it’s a quick and easy dessert.
Looking for more Trim Healthy Mama recipes?
- Trim Healthy Mama Ice Cream
- Trim Healthy Mama Skinny Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups
- Trim Healthy Mama Chocolate Custard
Three MORE Skinny Chocolate Recipes!
Love Skinny Chocolate?
Get three bonus recipes featuring this sweet treat!